[dmd-internals] Windows DMD development is now impossible

Don Clugston dclugston at gmail.com
Sun Jun 9 13:32:40 PDT 2013

> Well, impossible is a rather strong word, considering that the win32
auto-tester seems to be doing it's job successfully.

It is impossible on my system. It will soon be impossible on all systems.
>From what I've seen, the autotester is not "doing its job successfully".
It's been failing intermittently over the past week. I believe it is right
on the edge, right now. It only takes a very small change to the compiler
to push it over.
Depending on the system you're on, it can go off the cliff a bit earlier,
but it's still inevitable.
There's nothing new, in the sense that it's been getting steadily worse for
years. We've to split it the Win32 build, multiple times. That solution no
longer works.

> There's approximately 10M of source for druntime+phobos and some how it
can't fit in a couple _gigs_ of ram?  And looking at std.algorithm, that's
a mere 342k of source code.  Yes, it grows, but 4 orders of magnitude?

Yeah. 4 orders of magnitude. Our codebase at sociomantic is a bit larger
than Phobos + druntime, but it compiles in just a few seconds.
The problem is, that because of templates, the memory consumption isn't
linear with source size.

dmd -unittest -o- std/algorithm

instantiates 344150 templates. Yes 344K. More than a third of a million.
More than the number of lines of source in the module.
And yet there are only 1305 asserts in that module -- the tests are not
particularly comprehensive.

Improved memory management would not change the number of template
instantiations that happen, or even how much memory is used, it would just
change how good it is at collecting and reclaiming the memory.

The irony with this is, I've run into this problem while trying to reduce
the memory usage of CTFE.

And I'm stuck. The autotester reports passes on all systems except win32.
On Win32,  after five minutes, it reports:

unittest
std.exception.ErrnoException at std\stdio.d(1390):  (No error)
----------------
0x004AA84F in pure @safe int std.exception.errnoEnforce!(int,
"std\stdio.d", 1390u).errnoEnforce(int, lazy immutable(char)[])
0x00A9E8DE in void std.stdio.File.writeln!(immutable(char)[],
immutable(uint)).writeln(immutable(char)[], immutable(uint))
0x00AB8918 in void std.parallelism.__modtest()
0x00B064BB in int rt.minfo.moduleinfos_apply(scope int delegate(ref
object.ModuleInfo*)).int __foreachbody555(ref
rt.sections_win32.SectionGroup)
0x00B03665 in _d_run_main
0x00AF8AB8 in main
0x76BFD2E9 in BaseThreadInitThunk
0x76E91603 in RtlInitializeExceptionChain
0x76E915D6 in RtlInitializeExceptionChain
'qwertyuiop09813478' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

and I can't even compile Phobos on my win32 system, so I can't reduce this.
For me, this is a blocker. I really don't know what to do.

@David:
> […] Every import has a cost, and that cost is far from zero.
> Are imports really the primary cause for this? Might want to
(double)check this before jumping to conclusions.

No, the imports are the cause of the "big ball of mud" design of Phobos,
but they're not the cause of the memory usage. It's the sheer number of
template instantiations which seems to be the primary problem.