[dmd-internals] Windows DMD development is now impossible

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Mon Jun 10 12:46:12 PDT 2013

On Monday, June 10, 2013 12:15:58 Don Clugston wrote:
> If we could split those things out into a 'leaf' module, probably most of
> the import graph complexity would disappear. I'm sure most of the cyclic
> imports are false dependencies.

The possibility of splitting out all traits (not just those in std.traits)
into a separate module hierarchy has been brought up and discussed to some
extent, but we haven't really decided on anything yet. But putting all of the
traits in a separate hierarchy would allow us to hugely reduce the dependency
hierarchy, because in a lot of cases, they're the reason that a module pulls
in as many dependencies as it does, and when the dependency is for a trait
used in a template constraint, the import can't be localized.

So, if we want to reduce module interdependence, we really probably should
look at splitting out the traits as well as possibly some key items that we
know most everything ends up needing (like the range primitives for arrays or
the formatting and conversion stuff).

- Jonathan M Davis