[dmd-internals] Windows DMD development is now impossible

Don Clugston dclugston at gmail.com
Tue Jun 11 02:44:31 PDT 2013

This is great information. 71000 instantiations of isNarrowString!!
Definitely need a hash rather than a linear list. I had no idea. You're
right, though, about figuring out a way to avoid this. isNarrowString is
nothing more than:

> template isNarrowString(T)
> {
>     enum isNarrowString = (is(T : const char[]) || is(T : const wchar[]))
> && !isAggregateType!T;
> }
>
> Makes me wonder why isAggregateType is not 71000 instantiations, too?

It short-circuits through &&.

> Maybe we can avoid generating a mangled name for a template if it is an
> eponymous one that evaluates to a manifest constant? This will save a ton
> of memory.

Yeah.  Interestingly most of these instantiations are inside template
constraints or static if, maybe we can do something with that.
There's low-lying fruit here.