[dmd-internals] dmd 2.065 focus on ICEs

Walter Bright walter at digitalmars.com
Tue Nov 12 14:11:09 PST 2013

I'd like this to be a fairly short release cycle (get it out by the end of the
year) and focus on bug fixes rather than enhancements. Of particular interest is
in reducing the ICE list down to size:

https://d.puremagic.com/issues/buglist.cgi?keywords=ice&query_format=advanced&keywords_type=allwords&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED

There are 62 at the moment. If we can cut this in half that will be great
progress. ICE's make us all look bad and unprofessional far out of proportion to
their technical value. In today's compiler ecosystem ICE's are far less
acceptable than they used to be.

Even if you are not up to submitting a fix, vetting the issues (many will likely
be already fixed), getting reduced test cases, etc., is all valuable work.

Also, if there are any ICE's that are not tagged with the ICE keyword, please
fix them!

Let's kick some ice ass.