[dmd-internals] Halp! need help fixing git master for dmd

Daniel Murphy yebblies at gmail.com
Fri Feb 21 02:01:10 PST 2014

On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 8:51 PM, Walter Bright <walter at digitalmars.com>wrote:

> But I had just pulled the latest master and did a refresh on github to
> ensure there had been no new changes before I pushed. I'm still a bit
> baffled why that didn't work.

When you did git reset --soft HEAD^ it picked the testCols commit, because
you had merged master into that branch rather than the other way around.

> So, what's the correct procedure to undo the last commit to master?

The way I usually do it is to look at the history (git log, gitk, or the
internals list) to get the hash of the last correct merge commit, then `git
reset --hard` to that.

But this can seriously screw things up if done wrong, so if you're not 110%
sure it's best to just let somebody else fix it.