[dmd-internals] DMD copyright assignment

Walter Bright via dmd-internals dmd-internals at puremagic.com
Mon Jun 23 15:06:56 PDT 2014

On 6/23/2014 3:42 AM, Daniel Murphy wrote:
> You don't need to deal with it in the future, because boost allows you
> to change to a more restrictive license if necessary.  eg We could
> change it to BSD or GPL _without_ needing copyright assignment.  This
> is only a problem if we want to remove restrictions, and there doesn't
> seem to be any point to doing that.

I don't know what issues may come up, hopefully none. But laws can and do
change, and flaws may be found in Boost, such that the license needs to adapt
with the times. Shutting the door on that seems to me to be akin to putting a
"kill switch" on dmd.

> Also, AIUI we will not be able to change the license of phobos and
> druntime anyway, since there is no copyright assignment for those.
> We're 'stuck' with boost either way.

And that is a potential problem, too, but less of one than dmdfe itself. Worst
case a module can be discarded and redone (like Tango XML).