[dmd-internals] DMD copyright assignment

Daniel Murphy via dmd-internals dmd-internals at puremagic.com
Mon Jun 23 18:44:52 PDT 2014

(somehow I failed to hit send on this last night)

On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 1:15 AM, Andrei Alexandrescu <andrei at erdani.com> wrote:
> Do you have a response for the existing precedents in which valuable work
> has been wasted?

My understanding is that in each case, work was wasted because it was
under license A which couldn't be converted to license B.  Boost
converts to everything else happily, which is why it was picked.
Therefore this problem does not exist with boost.

> More generally (and for everyone), and please don't take this the wrong way
> as it comes from someone who knows next to nothing about this: I see there's
> considerable discussion here; what is the larger issue that seems to go
> unstated? It's entirely fine to want to maintain copyright of one's work,
> but on the face of it OSS seems to be a poor vehicle for that.

It's not about wanting to maintain my copyright, it's about removing
an unnecessary hurdle to contribution.  For example, if we require
copyright assignment I can't submit code that I don't own the
copyright to, even if it's licence compatible.  Since the move to
boost means we don't need it, we shouldn't have it.