[dmd-internals] DMD copyright assignment

David Nadlinger via dmd-internals dmd-internals at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 24 07:06:29 PDT 2014

On 24 Jun 2014, at 2:43, Andrei Alexandrescu via dmd-internals wrote:
> If the contributor holding the copyright has a falling with D, they
> can do harm by suddenly changing license for their part of Phobos. I
> don't see any good for anyone out of this - only the right to damage D
> in the future if they so want.

Wait, what?!

To the best of my knowledge (I am not a lawyer, obviously), this fear is
rooted in a misunderstanding of how software licenses work. It is true
that somebody could leave D development, take the code they contributed
to Phobos and release a new version under a different license. However,
while it would obviously be sad to lose a contributor, it wouldn't
impact the project in the slightest, because they already granted us
permission to use their contributions under the Boost license.

This issue seems to underlie all your arguments. Let's make sure we
agree on what can happen or not before continuing the discussion.

Cheers,
David