[dmd-internals] DMD copyright assignment

Daniel Murphy via dmd-internals dmd-internals at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 24 08:11:34 PDT 2014

On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 12:59 AM, Steven Schveighoffer via
dmd-internals <dmd-internals at puremagic.com> wrote:

> How does this work if I assign ownership of the code to Digital Mars?
> Do they now own that part of dcollections?

I guess, but it doesn't really matter because you can do almost
anything with it under boost without owning it.

> What if Digital mars decides to relicense phobos as proprietary (as long as we are playing catastrophic what if, we have to look at all parties), does that mean I have to remove RedBlackTree from my code?

Does't matter, because once it's been licensed under boost you can
always use it under boost.

> Does it mean that I can never relicense dcollections without DM's permission?

You can relicense it to anything boost is compatible with (GPL, BSD,
proprietary license) but you can't remove the restrictions that are
placed on it by boost.  ie You can't remove the attribution from the
source and then redistribute it, whereas you could if you owned the
copyright.