[dmd-internals] DMD copyright assignment

Steven Schveighoffer via dmd-internals dmd-internals at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 24 08:25:20 PDT 2014

On Jun 24, 2014, at 11:11 AM, Daniel Murphy <yebblies at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 12:59 AM, Steven Schveighoffer via
> dmd-internals <dmd-internals at puremagic.com> wrote:
>
>> Does it mean that I can never relicense dcollections without DM's permission?
>
> You can relicense it to anything boost is compatible with (GPL, BSD,
> proprietary license) but you can't remove the restrictions that are
> placed on it by boost.  ie You can't remove the attribution from the
> source and then redistribute it, whereas you could if you owned the
> copyright.

This is the point I was thinking about. Would a proprietary company give up this control for their own code? Put it this way: you are asking a potential contributor, who owns said code and willing to grant you boost access to it, to make Digital Mars a roadblock into using it's own code. In other words, you are saying "We're worried that you may be a roadblock if we have to relicense your code, make us a roadblock for your projects instead"

Does that seem like something they would want? It's almost like offering a neighbor to borrow your garden hose, but he says "I need you to assign ownership of the hose to me, and then I'll let you borrow it back when I'm done."

-Steve