[dmd-internals] DMD copyright assignment

Andrei Alexandrescu via dmd-internals dmd-internals at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 24 15:55:36 PDT 2014

On 6/24/14, 3:32 PM, Leandro Lucarella via dmd-internals wrote:
> If the copyright assignment requirement were well grounded, then maybe
> it would be justified, but to require it just based on a potential
> unknown and extremely unlikely fear seems pointless.

What seems pointless to me is this long and protracted discussion
around... around what? What or whom are we talking about protecting
here? It's not a practical matter, and it's not a matter of principles.
If protecting the copyright of one's work is high on one's list of
priorities, OSS is not the best place to be.

Crap has happened before, among reasonable people, and in ways that had
not been predicted. We don't have money. We don't have lawyers. We don't
want to spend time analyzing, projecting, estimating, or speculating. We
want to keep things simple and save everybody involved complications
while keeping everything as open as possible. This very discussion is a
huge waste of time wanking over nothing. What the heck are we even
_talking_ about, folks?

Andrei