[dmd-internals] DMD copyright assignment

Andrei Alexandrescu via dmd-internals dmd-internals at puremagic.com
Wed Jun 25 07:04:30 PDT 2014

On 6/25/14, 6:21 AM, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> On 6/25/14, 6:19 AM, Leandro Lucarella wrote:
>> Why? I still don't get it. All the rest makes no sense at all unless you
>> can answer that question.
>
> I care for his peace of mind enough to do him a small favor. -- Andrei

To better put this in context of my previous rant (sorry): I've
transferred copyright for much less reason and to entities I'm much less
aligned with. Walter is literally the only representative whom I could
fight on this; he'd sit down and stoically answer challenges, has no
lawyers to do his bidding, and has not once alluded to ceasing
cooperation (as said lawyers sure would as a simple recourse). I'd be
quite a special kind of an asshole if I'd pick a matter with Walter only
because I could.

> Walter, this is by far the least important point in that e-mail,
> please read it all and respond to all the points, or at least the
> most important ones to justify your desire to require copyright
> assignment.

It's likely you have signed a number of agreements in which you're
giving up something: conference talks, contracts, and entering
Facebook's campus last year. DConf 2013 didn't ask for a copyright
release form for your talk's video, but many conferences do.

My question is, in how many instances did you challenge the
representative to answer all concerns you had over the contract? In how
many cases did you ask for justification of their desire to have you
sign the release? And if so how did that work for you?

Andrei