[dmd-internals] Merge released branches/tags to master

Leandro Lucarella luca at llucax.com.ar
Thu Mar 13 07:55:06 PDT 2014

David Nadlinger, el 13 de March a las 00:03 me escribiste:
> Hi Leandro,
>
> see the last couple of messages in the "2.065 Final Release Prep"
> thread on dmd-beta.
>
> I would have assumed that Andrew would be in the position to easily
> perform an after-release merge without much effort, given that he is
> curating the release branch in the first place. But quite obviously
> that is not the case.

Oh, I see, so the problem is merge conflicts, right? If we want to do
a "symbolic" merge we can use the "ours" merge strategy (-s ours):

  ours
    This resolves any number of heads, but the resulting tree of the
    merge is always that of the current branch head, effectively
    ignoring all changes from all other branches. It is meant to be used
    to supersede old development history of side branches. Note that
    this is different from the -Xours option to the recursive merge
    strategy.

It won't make sure all the fixes in the release branch are in master but
it will generate a merge commit with the right parents.