[dmd-internals] Release cycles

Martin Nowak code at dawg.eu
Sun Mar 23 13:27:10 PDT 2014

On 03/23/2014 08:34 PM, Andrew Edwards wrote:
> On 3/23/14, 3:28 PM, Martin Nowak wrote:
>> On 03/23/2014 03:06 PM, Andrew Edwards wrote:
>>> I am just getting healthy again. Just in time for the preparation of
>>> 2.066 beta 1.
>> Can you fill in the planed release month for 2.066 here (
>> http://wiki.dlang.org/Agenda#v2.066_.28.3F.3F.3F_2014.29).
>> IMHO we're not yet in shape for a beta.
> Sure can. The plan was that the beta would be released 4 weeks after
> the most recent release. With a full two month review (1 for beta and
> 1 for release) that should put release around May 19.
I think we need to discuss these timeframes to use our restricted
development resources most efficiently.

- Porting a fix to a branch that diverted 2 month earlier is a lot of
extra effort.

- 4 weeks is too little time to work on bigger features and review time
also binds developers.

- There is only a limited attention span for beta testing.

Something like 2 month until the next beta + 1 month for testing/fixing
seems like a better fit to me currently.