[dmd-internals] Pulling D language enhancements

Daniel Murphy via dmd-internals dmd-internals at puremagic.com
Thu Oct 9 22:43:41 PDT 2014

On Fri, Oct 10, 2014 at 3:07 PM, Walter Bright via dmd-internals
<dmd-internals at puremagic.com> wrote:

> if the language design change is rejected, then the PR author's coding
> effort has gone to waste. We don't have the luxury of throwing peoples' work
> away like that. It pains me very much when this happens.

Walter, this is the most effective way to push for decision on
enhancements.  You have an awful track record at deciding on
theoretical changes.  It is _supposed_ to pain you when the work gets
thrown away.

> So please, please, before submitting a PR that involves a language change,
> be sure you've got agreement and approval for the change. Otherwise, you
> risk wasting your time in a most frustrating matter.

Following this would result in near-zero enhancement PRs.  Is that
what you want?

> I'm also OK with others pulling PR implementations for language changes when
> the language changes have already been approved.

That didn't work so well with adding the virtual keyword.