[dmd-internals] Pulling D language enhancements

Daniel Murphy via dmd-internals dmd-internals at puremagic.com
Fri Oct 10 03:44:45 PDT 2014

On Fri, Oct 10, 2014 at 8:37 PM, Walter Bright <walter at digitalmars.com> wrote:

> On 10/10/2014 12:14 AM, Daniel Murphy wrote:
>
>> I can't say I've seen you making bad decisions because of this.  In an
>
> ideal world you wouldn't be put in this position, but it's a lot
> better than the alternative of_never_  getting a decision on
> enhancements.
>
> I've pulled quite a few enhancements. The changelog is full of them.

And how many of those didn't have pull requests?

>> I would consider both of those merged enhancements as arguably making
>> existing features work correctly.
>
> This thread is not about whether those were good enhancements or not, it's
> about the process.

The process is broken because you obviously don't have time to
manually approve every single pull request that could potentially be
seen as an enhancement.  I think it's reasonable for decisions on
enhancements that can reasonably be seen as 'removing unnecessary
limitations and inconsistencies of existing features' to be made by
contributors other than you.