[dmd-internals] Pulling D language enhancements

Walter Bright via dmd-internals dmd-internals at puremagic.com
Fri Oct 10 22:11:15 PDT 2014

On 10/10/2014 12:19 AM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:

> This is the only way to make things happen. Neither you or Andrei are caring
> about the DIP's people create. They barley get any response at all from you or
> Andrei when posted on the newsgroups. DIP's are were good ideas go to and die.

I've authored several DIPs, too. That aside, pragmatically most DIPs will not be
implemented. New proposals for improvements fill the n.g. every day. Having a
DIP that fails is still far better than implementing a feature and having that
fail. DIPs, at a minimum, help prevent people from reinventing the wheel, they
can take an existing DIP and update it.

D is a fairly complex language, and there's a lot to learn. Shouldn't we be
conservative about adding more? I don't know how we can add features to an
already complex language at a rapid pace and maintain coherence. I don't know
any language that has succeeded at that.