[dmd-internals] 3rd Biweekly Sprint Planning

Martin Nowak via dmd-internals dmd-internals at puremagic.com
Mon Aug 10 09:30:37 PDT 2015

With the 2.068.0 out the door let's look ahead and plan the next 2 weeks.

Small retro:

Lot's of momentum in the final release phase just look at our done board
(https://trello.com/b/XoFjxiqG/active, cards will get archived in 2
days). Thanks to the many people helping out.

Let's keep it that way for the next release, though we should spare the
initial inertia (the release took more than 4 weeks).

As a reminder 2.068.1 is due in 1 month, 2.069.0 in 2 month.
I'm aiming for a 1 week beta period for point releases and 2 weeks for
full releases, i.e. 3 weeks until 2.068.1-b1 and 6 weeks until 2.069.0-b1.

Planning:

There are a few leftover things from the release phase that we should
handle before jumping on ddmd work.

- Dropping -property waits for an offical OK from Walter
  https://trello.com/c/1dQh4gxm/35-drop-property

- Debug druntime tests wait for someone to look at FBSD
  shared library guts
  https://trello.com/c/zmsotPH2/20-fix-debug-druntime-tests-for-fbsd

- There is some pending work on VS2015 support
  https://trello.com/c/5OWcNIGy/33-vs2015-support

- m32coff targets are here and simply need to be wired
  with the release scripts
  https://trello.com/c/al6RlkJP/44-mscoff32-libs-for-release

- We hackfixed a mangling issue for mixins and lambdas
  and need to come up with a proper solution.

https://trello.com/c/YuW4JycJ/45-mangling-of-mixins-and-lambdas-can-change-w-unittest-or-other-versions

- I noticed a few missing things while documenting the rangified functions.
  https://trello.com/c/vC7GfbPA/46-follow-up-on-rangified-functions

- I want to finish my WIP smart refs which didn't make it for 2.068.0
  https://trello.com/c/pTlDuyBD/16-finish-smartref-implementation

- The newly added compiler internal helper functions should get their
own module or so instead of being appended to object.d

https://trello.com/c/Vf4Gasoa/47-follow-up-on-compiler-internal-helper-module-and-arraydtor-error-messages

DDMD:

Regarding the ddmd switch I'd suggest to first make a spec story to
understand and break down what needs to be done. We should closely
coordinate this with people from the GDC and LDC team.

https://trello.com/c/4NtxWDtK/48-ddmd-bootstraping-and-backwards-compatibility-guarantees

Discussing this on dmd-internals seems like a good idea to me.

Then we can schedule whatever tasks fall out of the discussion for this
and the next sprint.

That already sound like a lot for the next 2 weeks, though some of the
phobos devs might still want to add a few stories or groom the backlog,
e.g. https://trello.com/c/jtmRtrHD/29-fix-binary-size-for-tempfile.

-Martin