[dmd-internals] 3rd Biweekly Sprint Planning

Iain Buclaw via dmd-internals dmd-internals at puremagic.com
Tue Aug 11 07:38:28 PDT 2015

On 11 August 2015 at 16:02, Martin Nowak via dmd-internals <
dmd-internals at puremagic.com> wrote:

> On 08/11/2015 03:24 PM, Martin Nowak via dmd-internals wrote:
> > And the profiles of both are very similar, e.g. comparing the relative
> > times spend compiling dub.
> > https://dawg.eu/dmd_vs_ddmd_prof.svg
>
> Same graph comparing absolute times.
> https://dawg.eu/dmd_vs_ddmd_prof_abs.svg

Those extra memcpy calls look interesting.  I wonder whether it's because
g++ inlines small copies, or the dmd codegen produces a *lot* of them where
a better alternative could be used.

Also, I wonder whether making use of `= void` for local declarations that
don't have an initializer helps at all with anything performance-wise.
That at least should be a trivial change to magicport.

Iain