[dmd-internals] 3rd Biweekly Sprint Planning

Walter Bright via dmd-internals dmd-internals at puremagic.com
Tue Aug 11 17:44:19 PDT 2015

On 8/11/2015 6:24 AM, Martin Nowak via dmd-internals wrote:
> Please don't underestimate the problem. If we release a self-hosted compiler
> that is 30% slower, then the message between the lines is that's b/c of D is
> slower than C++.

30% is a problem, but not a disaster. Some mitigating factors:

1. I believe that there is an excessive number of template instantiations going
on. This is borne out by the profile results you supplied (thank you). I.e. it
should not be necessary to instantiate a template in order to determine if it
has already been instantiated.

2. Not much effort has been expended in profiling dmd in a while. I suspect
there is more unrecognized low hanging fruit to speed it up.

3. dmd for Windows is compiled by the same backend as dmd has, so there
shouldn't be a speed difference there.

4. I want to unwind the changes that resulted in the large dmd slowdowns that
recently appeared and find other ways.

5. Having the source code in D offers possibilities for optimization that are
not so practical in C++ source.