[dmd-internals] 3rd Biweekly Sprint Planning

Walter Bright via dmd-internals dmd-internals at puremagic.com
Wed Aug 12 03:03:16 PDT 2015

On 8/11/2015 11:40 PM, Martin Nowak via dmd-internals wrote:

> If you want to compensate the slowdown by optimizing the compiler we should
> first try to improve our template instantiation, then do the switch.
> https://trello.com/c/L0nV131G/17-investigate-fix-compiler-slowdown
> https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dmd/pull/4780#issuecomment-124087604

The slowdown has a solution - 4780 - which you and Kenji don't agree with.
Nevertheless, that is how the compiler used to work before the slowdowns and
regressions. The worst case of 4780 is the user will add the -allinst compiler
switch, and their compilation will get slower. This is far better than it gets
slower for every case.

If we keep finding reasons not to do the switch, it will never happen.

If we wait for ldc/gdc to catch up to 2.068, then we'll be in the same situation
with 2.069+.