[dmd-internals] Jira?

Andrei Alexandrescu via dmd-internals dmd-internals at puremagic.com
Sun May 31 08:51:00 PDT 2015

We all share a good bit of your frustration. But it doesn't have us
leave. The simple point is if you want to improve the professionalism of
the D team the one way to go about it is to contribute professional
expertise to it. Long emails aren't it.

We have a vision document at http://wiki.dlang.org/Vision/2015H1, which
is generally agreed upon among forum participants. We're due to update
it soon for the second half of this year. Some of these things are
universally agreed upon and easy to address incrementally, such as
reducing the use of GC in Phobos. Much of the work is trivial. Yet
nobody does it, for which reason Walter has had to do it (see his
trailing pull requests to phobos). My view on this is we simply don't
have enough people with time to work on things they themselves agree are
important.

So it seems to me that the community not agreeing with what we think is
important etc. is simply false. You seem to be asserting it, ignore
evidence to the contrary, and conclude that if we disagree with you we
can't or don't want to understand. Your position is always right; is not
falsifiable so it's not scientific. Frankly it's sensible to accept you
may as well accept you may be wrong once in a blue moon, and from where
I stand your assertions about what's going on are wrong right, left and
center. What you say is happening is simply not what's happening. The
one way to figure is more participation; drive-by philosophy won't cut it.

Framing your failure to add unittests to dmd as Walter & Comp. being a
bunch of boneheads is simple and convenient. Another way to frame it was
that you could not demonstrate that your view and approach in the matter
was worth it. (Again, we do have a history of folks who come, dump a
bunch of stuff, and leave letting the few of us pay the piper.)

We plan to add named unittests. There is a library proposal at
https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/phobos/pull/3207. I think we
should actually make names part of the language, so they appear in
stacktraces etc. They have generated names anyway, it makes sense to
allow users to customize that name.

Andrei