[dmd-internals] 8th Sprint Planning

Martin Nowak via dmd-internals dmd-internals at puremagic.com
Sun Nov 1 13:35:33 PST 2015

> Oddly enough I want to dissuade you from doing RC - per my post "Safe
> reference counting cannot be implemented as a library" it's impossible
> to make library-level RC safe, which decreases its interest
> dramatically. We plan to do language-level reference counting, which, if
> we succeed, would obviate any RC library for classes.
>
> However, working on uniqueness is great! We'll either see how far we can
> get within the current language, or figure the minimal language
> additions needed to make it work.

Well unique classes also cannot be implemented safely.

Now I think @safe reference counting is great but we don't know if or
when any of those ideas pan out. So I'd rather implement a small dub
package now than waiting for the ultimate solution. If that gets laters
obsoleted by a safer and better dmd/phobos implementation, all the better.