[dmd-internals] 8th Sprint Planning

Martin Nowak via dmd-internals dmd-internals at puremagic.com
Tue Oct 27 03:15:10 PDT 2015

Thanks everyone and in particular Kenji for helping to get 2.069.0 out
the door. We're late by over a week b/c it took us a while to fix Issue
15027.

# Let's discuss the main goals for the next release:

Again I'd like to see 313&314 being fixed b/c any delay on that makes it
more painful to fix later on. As this change has a big impact we all
need to agree on the direction and should start the work as early as
possible in the next release cycle.
https://trello.com/c/YoAFvV5n/6-313-314

A lot of GC work remains and I'd like to get back on that in 2-3 weeks.
https://trello.com/c/Xp44NwHG/87-ttas-spinlock-for-gc
https://trello.com/c/K7HrSnwo/28-thread-cache-for-gc
https://trello.com/c/Dsdxd1r3/56-ptr-data-section
https://trello.com/c/0WxZP9KL/11-freelist-for-large-objects

# Plans for the next sprint:

For the next 2 weeks I want to finish the work on slist_reset
(https://trello.com/c/qMjMxduV/98-optimize-slist-reset) which speeds up
static library compilation by about 20%. Hope that only a small OSX
issue remains.

Other than that I want to focus on finishing the smart refs
implementation
(https://trello.com/c/pTlDuyBD/16-finish-smartref-implementation). I've
decided to do this in the form of a new std.experimental module rather
than breaking any of the existing std.typecons implementations. We're
still in need of a good name for that module.

planned feature list:

- RC/WeakRef/Unique
- full support for polymorphism (and RC for interfaces)
- only shared(RC) uses atomic ref counting
- full attribute inference
- support for allocators (defaulting Mallocator)
- message passing for Unique (if the payload doesn't alias anything mutable)

...your plans...

## Side note

We added good D support for Heroku [¹] and submitted a D .gitignore
template to github [²].

[¹]: https://github.com/MartinNowak/heroku-buildpack-d
[²]: https://github.com/github/gitignore/pull/1676

If you see a project w/o D support or some protocol w/o a D client,
consider adding it. It's often little work but greatly improves the D
usage experience.

-Martin