[dmd-internals] 8th Sprint Planning

David Nadlinger via dmd-internals dmd-internals at puremagic.com
Wed Oct 28 01:46:16 PDT 2015

On 27 Oct 2015, at 23:45, Andrei Alexandrescu via dmd-internals wrote:
> I'd very much want to get Walter's 100% approval on this. We seem to
> have a growing complexity problem in that overly complicated solutions
> are being pushed that nobody but their author understands and reviews
> properly. They don't get enough review and change the language in
> intractable ways.

I'd claim that this change does exactly the opposite; making the
language less complex by fixing inscrutable semantics. There might be
simpler ways to fix the issue (see previous PRs), but you guys (probably
mostly Walter) didn't like them because of its "breaking" nature (even
though some of those broken pieces of code were questionable to begin
with).

> Awesome. BTW what's the status of dynamic libraries on the three major
> OSs? I'm sorry, that topic has been out of my mind for a while so I
> lost contact with the matters.

DMD supports them on Linux and FreeBSD, LDC currently on Linux only (as
the most recent release is based 2.067 still), and GDC doers not support
them properly at all. As for Windows, I suppose it depends on who you
ask, but DLLs definitely don't work as seamlessly as on the Posixen (cf.
the export discussion).

  — David