[dmd-internals] Why are there suddenly tons of deprecation messages about imports in Phobos?

Daniel Murphy via dmd-internals dmd-internals at puremagic.com
Mon Feb 22 16:36:15 PST 2016

On Tue, Feb 23, 2016 at 9:27 AM, Brad Roberts via dmd-internals
<dmd-internals at puremagic.com> wrote:

> What I'm trying to say is how I've expected them to work.  I really don't
> think tacking on a filter list should be changing the semantics.  A lot of
> the time I start off with just "import foo" and then later trim that down to
> "import foo : sym1, sym2, etc" based on what I ended up using.  IMHO, that
> change should be _trivially_ correct.  And it's actually not given the
> current (and past) definition.

This is exactly how I always wanted them to work (and in most cases
it's close enough).  I have known they didn't work this way for a
fairly long time.

Walter has pointed out many times that D imports work via a simple and
consistent model.  The downside seems to be that it's a model that few
expect...