[dmd-internals] Unterminated loops in ctfe

Martin Nowak via dmd-internals dmd-internals at puremagic.com
Tue Mar 15 05:25:55 PDT 2016

On 02/27/2016 08:08 PM, Lass Safin via dmd-internals wrote:
> A solution to this problem is needed. It's simply ridiculous that I have
> to restart X11 anytime I make such a mistake. Perhaps something like a
> limit to the number of iterations needs to be implemented?

There is no solution to the [Halting
problem](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halting_problem) and any
heuristic will need some extra knobs for certain use-cases. While we
want to address the amount of memory used by the CTFE interpreter, it's
much easier if you kill the compiler yourself, rather than having us
implement some arbitrary limitation.

killall dmd