[dmd-internals] Create a dmd-cxx branch on dlang/dmd

Iain Buclaw ibuclaw at gdcproject.org
Tue Dec 12 10:33:36 UTC 2017

On 12 December 2017 at 02:17, Diederik de Groot via dmd-internals
<dmd-internals at puremagic.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday, 12 December 2017 at 01:03:43 UTC, David Nadlinger wrote:
>>
>> Hi Diederik,
>>
>> On 11 Dec 2017, at 23:16, Diederik de Groot via dmd-internals wrote:
>>>
>>> From the above i gather, from your response, i should be ok with using
>>> 2.068 as the intermediate stage.
>>

>> What might be easier than to use an intermediate stage is getting a DMD
>> version tagged that is 2.068.2, but with the one D dependency removed.
>> 2.068.2 is basically still entirely C++; only some auxiliary code has been
>> converted to D to test the waters
>>
>> For LDC, more specifically our last C++-based version (0.17.x/ltsmaster
>> branch), we just reverted that change. The resulting 2.068.2-based compiler
>> can directly bootstrap current master.
>>
>> Best,
>> David
>

> Hi David,
>
> Thanks for your reaction !
>
> That's exactly what i was looking for :-) Would it be possible to get the
> LDC c++ based version of 2.068.2 committed to the dmd repo (something like
> '2.068.3' or maybe even as a new version of 'dmd-cxx'), so that i can rebase
> my 'dragonflybsd_v2.068.2' changes on top of that later on ? As your changes
> have already been proven to work, it should be easier to get it accepted.

What do you mean?  The compiler has been proven to work, and it does
work, both in build dmd and gdc compilers
(https://github.com/D-Programming-GDC/GDC/pull/550).

> Figuring out which branch to use during porting is making the porting
> process a little cumbersome.
>
> @Iain: as dmd-cxx is not able to compile the current 'master' and '2.068.2'
> is, would it make sense to replace the current dmd-cxx with the LDC version
> c++ based of 2.068.2 ? I know you did quite a bit of work backporting
> several patches to dmd-cxx. I am just trying to help simplify porting of dmd
> to new platforms. And having only to stages would make all of this a lot
> easier.

It can compile the current 'master' when backed by gdc.  If someone
wants to fix dmd backend to make it work better, you're free to do
that also.

Did you have a look at the last-cdmd tag?

Iain.