[dmd-internals] Create a dmd-cxx branch on dlang/dmd

David Nadlinger code at klickverbot.at
Wed Dec 13 14:17:38 UTC 2017

On 13 Dec 2017, at 14:09, Diederik de Groot via dmd-internals wrote:
> On Wednesday, 13 December 2017 at 13:48:01 UTC, Sebastian Wilzbach
> wrote:
>> […]
>> So simply add -fPIC to DFLAGS or maybe even hard-code it like it's
>> done for macOS:
>>
>> https://github.com/dlang/dmd/blob/master/src/ddmd/mars.d#L465
>
> […]
>
> Thanks for finding all the PR's related to this issue.
>
> I will look into as soon as my current project is finished. Can only
> concentrate on one thing at a time :-)

Yep, just defaulting to -fPIC should be perfectly workable. LDC has been
doing this since the first Ubuntu version requiring PIC was released
(16.10?), and we haven't had any complaints so far. Since I'm not sure
DMD has a way of negating -fPIC once it has been set, just adding it to
the default config file is probably the best approach, as it leaves a
backdoor open for users wanting to build non-PIC code.

Best,
David