[dmd-internals] Create a dmd-cxx branch on dlang/dmd

Iain Buclaw via dmd-internals dmd-internals at puremagic.com
Thu Jun 8 14:58:53 PDT 2017

Well, the intention is that, although the C++ implementation is now in
an EOL state, I'll keep up the maintenance of it for a while until GDC
is in a position to switch.  It's more of a symbolic badge of approval
for the patches I've backported from the D frontend.

This could probably be started by creating a branch of v2.068,
rebasing against the last C++ commit in master, then I'll raise a PR
for all changes I've made since that point.

Iain.

On 31 May 2017 at 01:56, Walter Bright via dmd-internals
<dmd-internals at puremagic.com> wrote:
> If that would make life easier for Iain, I'm on board. -Walter
>

> On 5/30/2017 9:31 AM, Andrei Alexandrescu via dmd-internals wrote:
>>
>> Sounds good to me. Walter? -- Andrei
>>
>> On 05/28/2017 07:21 AM, Iain Buclaw via dmd-internals wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> What I see as a technical/design blocker for GDC being able to move
>>> forward to being self hosted is that I do not want to maintain two
>>> versions of the compiler "glue".  The change between one and the other
>>> should be seamless.
>>>
>>> To tackle this, I've been backporting regression fixes from D to C++,
>>> and aligning the interfaces up so that C++ headers are (almost)
>>> identical between GDC and DMD/stable.  I would however like to do this
>>> on a more public platform that internally within GDC.
>>>
>>> The idea is similar to the dmd-1.x branch.  I am happy to maintain
>>> this as a continuation of the C++ implementation, and strive to be as
>>> close to the current spec as possible, whilst also putting in big
>>> warnings that this branch is deprecated.
>>>
>>> Would doing such a thing be OK?
>>>
>>> The current C++ implementation is here:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/D-Programming-GDC/GDC/tree/master/gcc/d/dfrontend
>>>
>>> Differences between this and upstream DMD are documented here:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/2194
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Iain.