[dmd-internals] Refactoring of the Objective-C integration

Walter Bright via dmd-internals dmd-internals at puremagic.com
Mon Mar 6 03:21:37 PST 2017

On 3/5/2017 3:57 AM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> How do you see cross-compiling working when it’s a compile time decision
> (compiling the compiler)? As far as I understand, it only works for LDC
> because they’re not using the same makefiles as DMD does.

I don't see a need to compile OSX executables from Windows, Linux or FreeBSD. I
don't recall it ever coming up.

DMD is not currently set up to cross compile that way, because the object file
and library file code is a compile time switch. Making O-C a run time switch
would still not make it a cross compiler.

The stub file is still pointless extra complexity, though, and using a compile
time version will enable it to be merged with the non-stub file. It'd be a nice
improvement.