[dmd-internals] The proposed -Xcc dmd option would be quite useful for PLplot for the -pthread case

Alan W. Irwin Alan.W.Irwin1234 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 25 05:42:45 UTC 2019

On 2019-09-25 03:52-0000 Mike Franklin via dmd-internals wrote:

> This issue has been resolved with the `-preview=noXlinker` switch:  https://dlang.org/changelog/pending.html#noxlinker
>
> It will allow users to pass options directly to the linker driver without DMD trying to be clever.
> It should arrive in the next release.

Hi Mike:

I was very glad to hear that news for the reason I stated in my
initial post.  Thanks to your hint, I now see the relevant commit
(v2.088.0-rc.1-142-gd6183e9ff) on the master branch so I plan to build
and use that (or more likely the current master branch tip version)
for my further tests until 2.088.0 is released.

Those different -L semantics for the -preview=noXlinker dmd option
likely mean I will need to change at least some of the dmd -L options
I use now in my fork of the cmake-d project that currently provides
PLplot with CMake D language support.  Aside from this -pthread issue,
that support was perfect for dmd 2.087.0 on Linux, and there was also
a good preliminary result on Darwin that someone reported for the
MacPorts version of dmd.  So I anticipate with some additional work
this support will be perfect (this time with no -pthread issue) on
Linux and also Darwin for dmd 2.088.0.

By the way, I discovered for 2.087.0 that the Linux install after the
build did not provide a working dmd because certain *.d source files
(I have forgotten which ones) were missing from the install.  So I
ended up using the build-tree version of dmd instead which worked
because it could find those necessary *.d files within the build tree.
Anyhow, if I discover this "missing *.d files within the install tree"
issue again for current master tip, I will report this as a dmd bug
(unless you or someone else lurking on this list beats me to it as a
result of this informal bug report).

Alan
Alan W. Irwin

software package (plplot.org); the libLASi project