[ENet-discuss] ENet ain't what it could be, Was: ENET_EVENT_TYPE_DISCONNECT with peer address == 0 + additional questions

Lee Salzman lsalzman1 at cox.net
Tue Jul 4 16:12:54 PDT 2006

Adam D. Moss wrote:

> You have to implement an application-level reliable acknowledgement
> of disconnect.  Not ideal IMHO, but that's the way it is.

Feel free to suggest some sensible implementation of synchronous
disconnect, taking into account queued outgoing packets in channels,
also taking into account incoming packets while these remaining packets
are sent out, and any other new packets the host sends out after issuing
the disconnect request..

The more I thought about it, the less I could find a satisfying way of
doing it. Say, while the remaining outgoing packets are being sent out,
you get new incoming packets. Do you deliver those? What if they require
  a response from the host that just issued the disconnect in the first
place? Do you queue those new outgoing responses too or just drop them?
Hell, what if there's a huge amount of outgoing reliable packets queued
up, and the disconnect only happens an extremely long time later? Too
many "what if"s. So, for now, I've just given up and stuck with the
asynchronous disconnect.

> I'd say that your expectation seems reasonable, but not something
> that could be relied upon - really these ARE sequentially being shot
> to the same port no matter how much ENet gives a multiplexed
> view of it, so there's a hidden queue for various reasons.  Hm.
>
> --adam

Channels are there to combat the case of the resend mechanism blocking
stuff from getting sent. They don't really address saturation issues.
So, if on channel 0, you have one reliable packet that gets dropped over
and over, rather than just idling till the packet gets through, stuff on
channel 1 goes through unheeded. But if you've got a never ending stream
of data to send on channel 0, all bets are off.

Currently there is one outgoing queue for reliable packets, and one for
unreliable packets, with the reliable packets taking priority. I guess
my original reason for this is because reliable packets can timeout and
also control the throttling, so I wanted to make sure that they got sent
out ASAP. That and ENet is mostly made for shuttling around unreliable
stuff, with the occasional stuff that you can't afford to lose in
transit. I hate to admit it but I didn't architect it well enough for
lots of reliable data.

To fix this and other issues people have noted lately would require a
non-sucky packet throttle (which I still have not figured out yet) that:
    1) treats reliable/unreliable uniformly
    1.1) merge the outgoing queues
    1.2) include some new delivery options for reliable packets like
quickest delivery
    2) supports QoS for packets/channels/peers (time-to-live,
priorities, subsumption of old packets by newer packets, etc)
    2.1) maybe get rid of the random unreliable dropping in favor of
better QoS, or make it some kinda specific QoS policy
    3) better estimate and limit available bandwidth automatically
    3.1) use estimated bandwidth to control outgoing rate

Again, if anyone has any grand ideas for this stuff, and even better,
outlines of how to implement them, please feel free to suggest them.

Now, on a brighter note, I do have some improvements I made to the
protocol to make it use less bandwidth that I may put into CVS soon,
since it seems to be working well enough in Sauerbraten.

Lee