[Greylist-users] Side benefit

Scott Nelson scott at spamwolf.com
Wed Aug 20 23:11:37 PDT 2003

At 10:50 AM 8/20/03 -0700, Alan Batie wrote:
>When I first started running greylisting, mysql reported 7-8 queries/sec.
>I rebooted after updating the kernel this weekend, and noticed that it's
>now reporting about 4 queries/sec --- I have a suspicion that the errors
>are causing the addresses to get scrubbed from the spammer lists...

I'm certain that /some/ spammers pay attention, the question is how many.
My guess is that it's actually a very small number, less than 5%,
but it certainly could be as high as 50% based on the limited
data I have available.

A much more tangible benefit of greylisting IMO is that viruses
like SoBig don't retry.  I've heard there was an outbreak recently,
but I haven't seen any.  :)

Scott Nelson <scott at spamwolf.com>