[Greylist-users] Side benefit

Corey Huinker corey at corlogic.com
Thu Aug 21 15:29:07 PDT 2003

The virus going around does in fact spread by finding new emails in the
user's address book.  It then forges email based on those emails, using
one of the found addresses in the FROM as well as the TO.

Example:  Virus A infects computer owned by B, who has addresses C and D
in the mailing list.  B,C, and D are all close friends and email each
other frequently.  The virus then composes an email "from" C to D, but
obviously using B's IP address.  Assuming D is a greylister, the filter
will only be fooled if  C commonly sends D email, AND B and C use the same
SMTP gateway.  My guess is that this sort of arrangement happens often
enough for you to see a spike in usage.