[Greylist-users] Empty MAIL FROM:

richard at stardate.ca richard at stardate.ca
Thu Aug 21 22:33:50 PDT 2003

I am noticing that there are a lot of  "MAIL FROM: <>" coming through.

My understanding of RFC 821 section 3.1 is that a valid email address is
required here.  Any messages that were devoid of a return path address I
was refusing to accept.  The problem here is that there are a lot of non
spam emails where the address is empty, that I had to start accepting
these emails.  I think this will open the door to letting some spam
through.

Thoughts on that.

When I was bouncing these messages, the sender was getting notified of
the bounce, so the sendeng MTA must have the return address????