[Greylist-users] OT: spampd (spam proxy daemon) v2.10 released

Bob Apthorpe apthorpe at cynistar.net
Wed Jul 2 14:32:19 PDT 2003

Hi,

A new version of spampd has just been released; see
<http://www.wdg.us/index.cfm/rd/mta/spampd.htm>

Why is this relevant? spampd is a transparent proxy that speaks SMTP and
LMTP. I haven't looked at the code design too thoroughly yet, but it seems
to be fairly clean OO perl code and I suspect it could be hacked to add
greylisting support without too much trouble.

(/me rummages through the code a bit...)

See the SpamPD::Server::chat() method, around line 192, just as the remote
client enters the DATA phase. Add your greylisting lookup code there.
Beyond that, I'm not sure how to get the sender's IP address (must rummage
more), send a tempfail to the remote client (Hint: SpamPD::Server::ok("450
If you survive, please come again.\r\n")) or send a RSET/QUIT to the local
(real) MTA - this should be trivial.

Drop spampd in front of Postfix (or almost anything) and we've got
greylisting support for the top four MTAs. Or pretty much any MTA that
speaks SMTP, ESMTP, or LMTP...

hth,

--
Bob Apthorpe