[Greylist-users] Greylisting status

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Fri Jul 11 17:26:54 PDT 2003

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003, Evan Harris wrote:

> An easy solution is to limit the sendmail children to some reasonable number
> for your normal mail load.  Add:
>    define(`confMAX_DAEMON_CHILDREN', `40')dnl

Be aware that this opens you up to DoS attacks.  Bad Person simply opens
40 SMTP connections to your server and leaves them idle; no-one else
can connect.

> I've added a note about this problem to the INSTALL file, which will go out
> with the next release (which I expect in a few days).  Having so many copies
> of the milter running also consumes large amounts of memory, which is a
> problem for some people with smaller amounts of memory/swap.  This is an
> easy fix for that as well.

MIMEDefang (http://www.mimedefang.org/) lets you tailor how many filters
you have running independent of the number of Sendmail processes.

Regards,

David.