[Greylist-users] Waiting until after the DATA phase.

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Wed Jun 25 16:35:39 PDT 2003

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003, Corey Huinker wrote:

> Now, switching backend DBs is certainly an option.  The stored procs are
> possible today in Oracle, SQLServer, DB2, PostgreSQL, etc.

Just as a data point, we use PostgreSQL in our commercial product.
It works very well.

> If you don't find the sender's address
> in the new sender_address table, then you know this is a first time
> receipt, and you can just blindly do your first-time inserts,

... assuming your database supports transactions.  Remember, you can
have multiple parallel filters running because of multiple parallel MTA
instances.

> Greylisting is a strange duck in that it ideally fits in the filter chain
> after valid-user and dnsbl checks, but before body checks.  And so far,
> only sendmail is architected to allow for that.

Right.  Some of us keep pushing the other MTA vendors to implement
the equivalent of milter, but no luck so far. :-(

--
David.