[Greylist-users] Timing issues (was Re: Central Database)

Scott Nelson scott at spamwolf.com
Thu Jun 26 10:47:56 PDT 2003

At 12:32 PM 6/26/03 -0400, you wrote:
>On Thu, 26 Jun 2003, Scott Nelson wrote:
>
>> Start with an initial delay of 1 minute.
>
>Please note that even with an initial delay of 1 second on your end,
>legitimate mail will be delayed by anywhere from 15 minutes to 4 hours or
>more, depending on the retry interval of the sending relay.

Well, it's not always a flat time.
My mailer delays a different amount based on the number of attempts.
I try at 0 minutes, 1 minute, 10 minutes, 1 hour, 2 hours, 3 hours,
and every 4 hours thereafter.

But yes, starting the window at 1 minute rarely results in delays
of only 1 minute.  At best, it's the minimum delay of the sender,
which as you point out is usually more than 15 minutes,
and has been observed as high as 4 hours in the wild.

>This delay is inevitable and is the price of greylisting.
>Users have to weigh the pros and cons themselves.

Absolutely.

Scott Nelson <scott at spamwolf.com>