[Greylist-users] Timing issues (was Re: Central Database)

Evan Harris eharris at puremagic.com
Thu Jun 26 18:58:19 PDT 2003

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003, Eirik Oeverby wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 12:32:47 -0400 (EDT)
> "David F. Skoll" <dfs at roaringpenguin.com> wrote:
>
> > This delay is inevitable and is the price of greylisting.  Users have
> > to weigh the pros and cons themselves.
>
> I think I have proven that it's not entirely inevitable - and my users
> *can't* weigh the pros and cons themselves, since this is a system-wide
> thing. It's not practical for me (nor is it for others running large
> mail servers) to do any kind of 'voting' among users on this. So if we
> are to implement it, we need to make the initial hurdle as little as
> posisble.

On the contrary, it can be very practical, depending on how you want to do
it.

If you want to give your users a choice, assuming that you have some sort of
user account preferences website, it should be very easy to put a recipient
whitelist entry in the greylisting database for every user that would exempt
them, and let them opt in by selecting an option in their account prefs that
removes it.

Or, reengineer the code to pay attention to some other list (database,
flatfile, whatever) that controls if a user has greylisting enabled, and use
whatever mechanism you desire for controlling it.

Evan