[Greylist-users] re: relaydelay :p (fwd)

Evan Harris eharris at puremagic.com
Thu Sep 25 14:14:22 PDT 2003

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 13:10:02 -0500 (CDT)
From: Evan Harris <eharris at puremagic.com>
To: Erik Clark <eclark4 at gl.umbc.edu>
Subject: re: relaydelay :p

Pop-before-smtp does have some issues.  But it can be done if poprelayd is
modified so that in addition to its own recordkeeping, it either inserts a
short lived whitelist record for that ip into the greylisting db, or adds an
entry to sendmail's standard access.db.  However, doing it via the access.db
means records won't be expired without some additional work.  Doing it in
the greylist db will autoexpire, since it has that built in, you just need
to pick an appropriate lifetime.

Another way to accomplish the same thing without having to change code would
be to use smtp-auth to authenticate users instead of poprelayd.  The
greylisting code already bypasses the checks if sendmail reports that the
current connection has been auth'd.

Evan