[Greylist-users] Identifying ill configured relays from expired records

Evan Harris eharris at puremagic.com
Tue Apr 27 10:40:39 PDT 2004

How would you determine a "valid" mx that is being blocked?  The only
determination you could make is if a particular IP has tried and eventually
succeeded to deliver mail, or it has not retried.

If you think you are missing mail, it's because they have not retried as
they should.  How would you differentiate them from spam hosts that of
course should be blocked?

Now if all you want to do is autowhitelist relays that have passed a lot of
email successfully (for example, message unique sender addresses from
mailing lists), then you can easily do that by looking at ip's that that are
not already whitelisted _and_ have a high percentage of successful
deliveries.  But those messages would probably get through anyway, just not
as fast.

Evan