[Greylist-users] Greylisting with MySql I/O performance

Kent Ziebell kaziebell at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 23 14:48:51 PDT 2004

Anyone seen I/O performance issues with MySql greylisting database?  We
process roughly 3M pieces of email each week.  We are running our database
on a 3Ghz system, and it is running almost 98% idle cpu.

However, the database is on a single IDE disk, and it appears to be running
98-100% busy.  We know we would get some benefit from using a SCSI disk
instead, but are wondering if we should move to hardware Raid 0 (striping)
instead?

We are seeing delays on our mail servers that are inquiring against the
greylist database at this point.  Comments?

We have tuned the MySql database as best we can with table-cache set to
1200, max_connections to 300, and key_buffer to 20M.  Any other suggestions?

Also we added an index for record_expires to relaytofrom for the maintenance
script that gets run nightly, but it too is taking way too long to run -
again I suspect I/O is the problem.

Thanks,

Kent Ziebell