[Greylist-users] Greylisting is great but...

Steven Grimm koreth-greylist at midwinter.com
Wed Dec 1 09:33:30 PST 2004

Cami wrote:

> Certain greylisting implementations provide automatic
> whitelisting of MTA's when they deliver more than X
> 'authenticated' triplets. (At least my implementation does,
> i got the idea from Wietse Venema).

What is a good value for X? I'm having a hard time coming up with a
scenario where you'd want it to be greater than 1, especially if you
don't whitelist just the sender's IP address, but rather the (IP
address, sender domain) pair.

The one arguable scenario is where the MTA is a dialup or other dynamic
address -- but in that case a sufficiently well-informed attacker could
bypass greylisting anyway, by spamming from a known good sender address.
If you assume that the average spammer doesn't keep track of which other
domains send from his dynamic address range, then IP+domain whitelisting
is pretty much as good as IP+sender whitelisting, with the advantage
that you don't block messages from other addresses in the same domain.
And it's better than IP whitelisting alone, since you *do* most likely
block spam from the next person who gets that address. (Obviously if you
have some way of telling that an IP address is dynamic, then you
probably shouldn't whitelist it in the first place, but it's not always
possible to tell.)

Of course I'd only whitelist after a successful delivery based on
IP+sender+recipient greylisting. It would be dumb to only look at the
sender domain initially since lots of spammers attempt multiple messages
with the same sender domain.

-Steve