[Greylist-users] How do you know when you are ready?

Tom Haapanen tomh at motorsport.com
Thu Feb 26 02:38:01 PST 2004

On 2004-02-25 23:25, Franck Arnaud wrote:

>Sure. The filesystem _is_ a database, just in a different
>format. It would not be appropriate for everything, but for
>that particular case it seems well suited and lightweight.

I think this comes down to personal opinion in the end.  I have grown to
appreciate SQL, you still prefer UNIX filesystem tools.  That's all
right, both can work fine.

But not having a database server isn't necessarily faster --  MySQL
takes a trivial amount of CPU on our server, and it has the advantage
that for queries it does not need to open and close each file.  If you
have done a "mailq" on a busy mail server or "lpq" on a busy print
server (both sendmail and lpd use ("filesystem databases"), you can
appreciate that there can be appreciable time involved in accessing
large numbers of files.

Checking a single file for accepting/delaying a message is quick,
though, no doubt.

Tom