[Greylist-users] How do you know when you are ready?

Evan Harris eharris at puremagic.com
Thu Feb 26 22:01:55 PST 2004

The code probably explains it as well as I can, so you may want to take a
look at the code from 0.04 related to the reverse_track function.

Basically, I check to make sure there's not already a matching record for
from,to combo with any relay_ip, and if there isn't, I add a short-lived
record with wildcard ip but specific from,to.  And if a reply comes, I
update that record to add in the ip and extend it's life to the normal
whitelist lifetime.  I use a default of 4 days for the reverse life until a
reply comes.

Doesn't work perfectly if someone sends mail from several locations but the
same envelope from, but also is specific enough that spammers can't really
subvert the normal delay, even if they know that a relationship exists
between two email addresses, since hopefully a record with another IP
already exists, which stops it from creating the wildcarded record.

Evan