[Greylist-users] relay identification

Matthew L. Seidl seidl at wraith.com
Tue Jan 6 09:28:57 PST 2004

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 08:06:45 -0800, martin dempsey writes:
>> . In a sweep cleaning up stale triples, I collected the IPs of all sites
>> with 2 or more successful relays and stored those.  Things like Yahoo
>> relays will probably appear in such lists.
>>
>> . The filter will accept messages, even the first one, from such "known
>> good" relays.
>
>For how long? It appears you are permanently whitelisting all those IP
>addresses. IP addresses are reused when, say, companies change ISPs. One
>issue with your approach is that any spammer getting one of those ip
>addresses has a permanent free pass to spam your users.

My reading of the proposed change is just that you whitelist the relay
for some period (a week?  a month?).  Sure, the spammer will have free
reign for the timeout period, but not forever.

-=- Matthew L. Seidl 		email: seidl at wraith.com                     =-=
=-= Research Scientist 			Project . . . What Project?	    -=-
-=- http://www.wraith.com/seidl                          -Morrow Quotes     =-=
=-= My friends tell me I lead far too interesting a life.                   -=-