[Greylist-users] relay identification

Tim Freeman tim at fungible.com
Wed Jan 7 09:23:22 PST 2004

From: Evan Harris <eharris at puremagic.com>
>Shorter delays still seem to be mostly effective.  I'm just waiting until
>the spammers catch on and this becomes not the case.  I'm a little surprised
>that they haven't already.
>
>There are a few spammers that do seem to do a few retries before giving up.
>The time before retry varies a bit, but most I have seen still seem to be in
>the under 10 minute timeframe (so far).

If they know that the default setting is 58 minutes, then they can do
the first run and then retry all the tempfails an hour later.  This
strategy would probably help them with the tempfails that fail because
of an accidental temporary problem too.

Eventually you'll want a minimum number of tries as well as a minimum
amount of time.

--
Tim Freeman                                                  tim at fungible.com
I xeroxed a mirror. Now I have an extra xerox machine. -- Steven Wright