[Greylist-users] relay identification

Christopher Baker chris at chrisbaker.net
Thu Jan 8 19:09:51 PST 2004

> I would find their reacting surprising. Spammers probably react
> only to things that seriously dent their response rate, and it
> takes something applied by a large proportion of users to do
> this. So until AOL and the like adopt greylisting, it should
> remain effective.

The important thing about graylisting is that makes spamming more
difficult and more expensive though. I certainly wouldn't expect AOL to
adopt something that may actually work. This should put a dent in it.

It's certainly more effective than these Bayesian filters and stuff like
Spam Assassin. These "solutions" are like wearing a bullet-proof vest.
The bullets bounce off, but the vest doesn't stop people from shooting
at you.

Chris

"This Christmas season does something to us inside. It sets us on our
feet and gives us a cue as to the way we should go. Our part is to
carry on from there, to carry this spirit which comes to us at this
season into the rest of the year. Then it may be said of us, as Dickens
remarked of one of his characters, 'It was always said of him, that he
knew how to keep Christmas very well.'" --Edmund Opitz
Chris Baker -- www.chrisbaker.net
chris at chrisbaker.net, chrisbaker at iname.com, cbaker2 at columbus.rr.com
"When you stop growing, you start dying."